Precautions when cooking with gas
Tips on cooking (with Gas) safely:
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Never get distracted.
- Never allow a child to cook without adult supervision.
- Keep the flame from extending past the pot sides.
- Turn pot handles away from the stove edge.
- Keep stoves and cook tops free of grease and fat build-up.
Gas Stove Safety Tips
- Check the pilot light. Some older gas stoves are equipped with pilot lights which stay lit when the stove is not on.
- Clean the burners regularly.
- Keep handles to the side.
- Inspect your smoke alarm.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close.
Basic Rules of Kitchen Safety
- Store knives in a wooden block or in a drawer.
- Never cook in loose clothes and keep long hair tied back.
- Never cook while wearing dangling jewelry.
- Keep potholders nearby and use them.
- Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove.
- Don't let temperature-sensitive foods sit out in the kitchen.