Fire Safety Tips for Your Christmas Tree
Christmas and Christmas Eve are some of the top days of the year where fire emergencies happen the most. These can be caused by the tree catching on fire due to the dryness of the tree itself, poor electrical wiring on lighting decorations, and poorly located heating sources.
Here are some tips to keep in mind to help keep your Christmas safe:
- Tree sap combined with the dryness of the tree is what makes the tree flammable. Try to choose a freshly cut tree as they are the least likely to catch on fire.
- Everyone enjoys the ambiance of the Christmas Tree next to the cozy fireplace, however take caution! Keep the tree away from heating sources such as heaters, candles, fireplaces, etc., and keep the base hydrated with water to prevent the tree from drying out.
- Throw out any damaged lighting that is intended to be hung on the tree and inspect the cords for any flaws.
- Remember, Christmas lights are not night lights! When everyone goes to bed, turn the lights off on the Christmas tree to ease your mind when you and your family go to bed.
SERVPRO of Lake Forest South/Laguna Woods wishes everyone a great end of the year and hope that these tips help keep you and your family safe.